Saturday, March 7, 2009

Railroad Tracks

Chained by my wrists
to a block of stone
that is sinking in the sand
like a melting bone
Hardness of heart
constricts the breath
Solid as stone
Static as death

It’s hard to breathe
this dusty darkness
Am I full of emotion
or simply heartless?

The restless demon
calls this suffocation
Just stop- don't give
an explanation
The air in my lungs
an expanding load
A violent conclusion
-when I explode.
So foggy my mind
So full of the cold
So soft and grey
like I might have been told.

Kill me this way
by blocking me up
the phone is ringing
but I can't pick it up

I hear you're voice
From the vibrating phone
Scratching my nerves
with your endless drone

I'm folded and packed
into your suitcase
and left on the desk
along with your shoelace

The roof falls down
I fall to the floor
I slip down the stairs
but just miss the door.

I look up the stairs
coming down is a train
the railroad tracks
are slippery with rain
they are full of cracks
I might slip through
I want to be tied down
And broken anew
With hammers and picks
And the sweat from their backs
Till I sizzle and fly
from the railroad tracks.

Priyanka Rao
3rd Feb. ‘09.

No comments: