Saturday, January 24, 2009

Illusion

Beauty, o!
You treacherous thing
I live for you
You are my being

But I’m peeling away
like cloth from a wall
catching the winds to
abort my fall
Bondage to a wound
I am coming away
from drying blood
and flesh in decay
Coming to float
on the tips of a pond
fresh chill of the water
then I’m floating beyond
Falling away
what a beautiful thing!
the scraps coming loose
and into nothing . . .
The buzzing of a fly
or perhaps it is crying-
the screaming of my heart
-it still thinks this is dying
And perhaps it is
I wouldn’t know
I’ve been here too long
Its time to let go
A storm seems to follow
As I’m flying away
Chasing me down
I’m turning to clay
I’m standing underwater
Before a full jury
‘Here they are- you’re rights and duties,
Get along now, we’re all in a hurry. '
Oh, what in the world?
I was flying through space
‘No, no,’ they assure me
‘now put on your face.’
So I pull on with work
Now life is so heavy
I look for strength
But I’m all cut free
All the holds are gone
where they used to be
I let go of the past,
Now there’s nothing left of me.
Its all a cheat
Its never fair
beautiful fabric of being-
my life’s just a tear.
I scream
I want to die
would it get me anywhere?
I can’t even try
'Let go, let go'
they stare at me
I’ve nothing to hold
except this key
Ah, but see me scream
love my tears
O trap of lies-
you feed me fears
You tear me from the wall
shred by shred
Not again, no-
I wish I were dead
Tearing burning
through the seams
You’re turning out the lights
in all of my dreams
I’m falling falling
falling free . . .
Isn’t this once
where I wanted to be . . .?
P.L.Rao
14th January 2009

No comments: